Change/Update Log Entries
- Wow, has it been that long? I should really get some more of our
material written up... Anyway, updated WebRing links as WebRing.com
leaves yahoo and yet again doesn't automatically transfer their data.
- Cleaned up Panagwa's Blessing and the Wings of the Shining Soul, also made
a few corrections to the Beastmaster discipline, and updated the
- Finally got around to finishing up the new stuff and updating the site.
Changed some unarmed combat knacks to not need as high of a success
level if they are performed from a grapple. Pseudo-new Knacks: Matrix
Strike, Fearsome Charge, Call Mount, Tame Mount, Echo Location. New
Knacks: Steel Hand, Balanced Dodge, Heavy Hand, Transient Alteration,
Strength of Stone, Circle of Confusion.
- Played Earthdawn some this weekend! Made some updates to Warrior and
Beastmaster Disciplines, added Cavalryman. Put some explanatory text in
the discipline index page. Minor change to Daumoqag (Blood Flame points
can be used by Death's Door if the wielder is out of Karma).
New Knacks being written up.
- Altered layout to make top page smaller and more accessible. Pushed
category content lists down into sub pages. Left the old long-page style
available as index-long.html. Reordered
index-long.html to better suit the expected value of categories. Went
ahead and dropped the link page--hopefully the web ring will be more
useful. Changed the Knacks list to sort the Knacks into groups by Talent,
which is a long overdue change. Added unarmed Combat Knack "Reversal".
- Joined the Earthdawn Web Ring. I put the Ring stuff near the top of the
page, so people wouldn't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to
it if they were just skimming the ring or something. It also essentially
replaces the "Other Links" section, which may get removed soon.
- Lots of changes, since it has been so long since I uploaded pages, and
even longer since I updated this file. Here are the main changes: Warrior
discipline is still in flux; some characters are kinda up to date; added
new thread items (Twilight Hammer, Oubliette, Cloud Circlet, Panagwa's
Blessing, and Wings of the True Soul); added knacks (Analyze Style, Scene
- Dumped page statistics, since they are such a pain to get at from most web
hosts. (Why won't they just let us get at the logs. Sheesh.) And
no a "web counter" is not an acceptable alternative.
- Finally updated the "new" armor and shield rules. Mostly finished now.
- Finally typed up some of the new thread items.
- Added Multidiscipline Karma Ritual and Thread Weaving rules. Had these in
mind a long time ago, just never remembered to write them up.
- Finally got the internal SGML code upgraded a bit. Works nicer and
more reasonably now, and is finally returned to a self-consistent state
so I can update the installed pages (ie, I work on a different machine from
the web server and upload periodically).
- Slight formatting changes to top page. Removed 'under construction' icons
since our campaign is on hold and I probably won't make any more
additions with no game to use them in.
- Changes to Fire Skin and Paralyzing Venom
- Been so long, there might be some other changes, but they probably don't
matter anyway, and this notes page only gets read by like 2 people a month, so
it's pretty obvious I'm about the only one who cares
- The main index has recieved one thousand hits! I'm still suprised we get
several hits per day. (What? You didn't know I was counting? ;)
- May pull all nonoriginal text from the pages to avoid trouble from FASA.
Don't want to though, as it breaks the aesthetics/completeness a bit for
me. For the time being, just be sure you have the appropriate FASA products
(Main rule book and Companion should cover anything we might put up).
- Finished entering Beastmaster Discipline.
- Entered most of everyone else's characters. Still need some work on the
Character DTD and scripts. Need a way to find bonuses for talent steps
and defense ratings, etc. Added versatility marker for talent lists (the
little 'V' where the talent Circle will eventually go).
- Repaired Character script after deletion accident. Altered code model
for transform script. Code looks a little better now, and easier to
follow/edit. Only Character script actually uses it (other scripts are
far simpler and don't really need it).
- Entered Racial attribute adjustments and karma data.
- Top page now extracts genitive race names for describing characters
in list. Still doesn't notice multidiscipline though. That requires
major rewrite (and complexity jump) of the general extract/pattern print
script. Still thinking about how to best work it.
- Commented out Legend point history from character sheets, only totals
- Equipment section added to character dtd and transform. Added some of
Li'e'shidann's gear to her file.
- Found bug in scripts. Shared transform code needs to interact better
with data handlers in scripts. Can be ignored if tags aren't used in 'text'
or 'num' entries for scripts that don't print data as it comes.
- Added Beastmaster to Disciplines section, at least through Circle 8.
- Finally remembered to update design notes page and add log.
- Almost all non-massive aspects of Character scripts complete. Added nice
conditional links to character journals. Fixed scripts to read and use
racial attribute adjustments and karma info. Special abilities still
- New DTDs: Race, Skill(partial), Journal(simple)
- Races only entered as placeholders. Need correct information.
- New transforms: Journal(linked from character pages)
- Minor adjustments to Wound rules and decisions made for Healing/Booster
Potions. Li'e'shidann took rank 4 Wound in playing today, and it is
being appropriately difficult to heal. I think these rules are quality,
though the wound penalty still seems severe for heroic settings. Hmm.
Design Status and Notes
Most of the information in our pages is saved in SGML source. Perl
scripts generate the html pages from the SGML source. The index is generated
from an M4 file, which extracts information from the sgml files and builds
lists for the page. I have a much more advanced SGML transform core script
which I developed at work, that I hope to switch these over to use in the
not too distant future.
- Working DTDs
- Thread Items
- Incomplete DTDs
- Spells (we haven't written up our spells yet, sorry)
- Working HTML Transforms
- Thread Items
- Content extract, pattern substitute
- Big to-do's
- Character transform script needs to get talent info from
- Scripts to make 'One Big Page' version for slower connetions
- New hierarchy needed once top level lists get too long
- Character Descriptions and Journals
Items used without permission, no offense or challenge of copyright
intended. Please contact us if you
have any objections to any materials used.
- Materials from FASA
- All Earthdawn terms, logos, etc.
- Most of the text of the discipline descriptions
- Paintings from Michael Whelan
- Meditating monk image cropped from "Shonto's Garden"
- Flying thing image cropped from "Destiny's Road" (crop unfinished)
- Undead with mask image cropped from "Angel of Death" (crop unfinished)
- Book Cover
- Cloaked Figure with arms upraised cropped from cover of a book by
Louis Cooper. (I'll remember to look up the actual source sometime)
- (Some web graphics gallery)
- "firering.gif" background image (brightness levels modified)